2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
6 small egg yolks
1/4 cup fresh passion fruit
1. Mix 1 cup of cream with milk, sugar and salt in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Heat the cream mixture over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and and tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
3. Get a large bowl and fill with 2 inches of ice water. Set a smaller glass or metal bowl in the ice water.
4. Pour the remaining cream in the inner bowl. Set a fine strainer on top.
5. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
6. Pour half the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan and cook over low hear. Stir constantly and scrape the bottom with a rubber spatula until the custard slightly thickens. It should coat the spatula and you should be able to draw a line through it with your finger.This takes about 4 to 8 minutes. Don’t let the sauce overheat or it will curdle. Once it has thickened, pour it through the strainer into the cold cream.
7. Cool the cream mixture to below 21C by stirring it over the ice bath.
8. Stir the passion fruit into the cooled cream mixture.
9. Chill the cream mixture in the fridge for 2 hours.
10. Then freeze the cream mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.