3 cups flour
1 tbs sugar
½ tsp salt
2 & ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground pepper
½ tsp baking soda
170 g cold unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes
1 egg beaten
¾ cup cold Greek yogurt or sour cream
3 tbs cold water
1/3 cup chopped mint
¾ cup finely grated halloumi
sea salt, ground pepper & paprika for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line 1 large baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, ground pepper, baking soda in a large bowl and stir together with a fork to ensure it is combined.
3. Quickly mix the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture with your hands – it will look very crumbly.
4. In another small bowl, combine the egg, cold sour cream and cold water. Mix together with a fork until it just comes together.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Mix the flour mixture with your hands a few times. Then add the halloumi and mint. Mix together in the bowl until a soft dough forms and turn it onto a flat surface.
6. Pat the dough out so that it is 1 inch thick. Then cut pieces approximately 1 inch by 2 inch and place onto the baking sheet.
7. Sprinkle generously with paprika, and a little salt and pepper.
8. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until slightly golden brown on top