2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp ground cardamom (cardamom is quite spicy and strong so even 1/8 tsp adds flavour, but add 1/4 tsp for a stronger flavour)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup organic unsulfured molasses
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup diced candied ginger
granulated sugar to roll the cookies in
1. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices (cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon).
2. With a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg and molasses and continue to mix until incorporated.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients with a spatula until incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place the bowl & batter in the fridge for 70 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 176C.
7. Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar and place on baking paper on a baking sheet. Bake for about 11 minutes (this will ensure that the outside of the cookie is hard, but the inside is slightly chewy). If you want more of a “snappy” texture, bake for about 13-15 minutes.