For the Duck
1 Pack Wichmann Duck Breasts (0.550 kg total, 2 inside the package – Available at Foodsaver)
salt & pepper to taste
For the Orange Sauce
juice of 1 large orange & 2 tsps orange zest
1 cup water
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp Foodsaver White Sugar
1 & 1/2 tbs Grand Marnier (brandy is OK but Grand Marnier is best)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
3 tbs Lurpak Salted Butter (available at Foodsaver)
1 finely diced large shallot
2 kumquats finely sliced with seeds removed (optional, adds bitterness)
Serve together with
Bio Whole Green Beans (available at Foodsaver)
Ardo Hawaimix (Mix of Rice & Vegetables, available at Foodsaver)
1. Prepare the duck. Score all of the fatty side of the duck creating 1 inch diamonds – cut through the fat, but do not pierce the red flesh. Season both sides of the duck breast with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
2. Boil 1 cup of water on the stove. Add the orange zest, remove it after ten seconds, place the orange zest to the side and let it rest.
3. Place a large skillet over high heat on the stove. Add the duck breasts, fat side down. Let sit for about 10 minutes, until the fat has become brown and crispy. Using tongs, turn over the duck in the skillet and cook for another 4 minutes on the other side for rare duck (duck can be served a little bit pink on the inside). If you want the duck cooked well done, leave for a further 4 minutes.
4. Once the duck has been cooked, remove the duck breasts with tongs and place in a plate to cool and then pour the fat out from the pan into another saucepan.
5. In the same saucepan (now drained of fat) add the sugar, Grand Marnier, orange zest, shallot and vinegar and let cook for about 30 seconds. (If you wish, add kumquat slices to the sauce at this stage too.) Add the chicken broth and let the sauce reduce for about 20 minutes, constantly whisking it. You don’t want the sauce to be runny or very thick, somewhere in between, but closer to the runny side.
6. Slice the duck crosswise and serve with some of the sauce spooned on top, accompanied by Ardo green beans and/or Ardo rice mix.