For the steaks
2 Prime Steer Rib-Eye Steaks (300 – 400g per steak)
Generous salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs extra-virgin Minerva Chorio olive oil (available at Foodsaver)
30g (about 2 tbs) Lurpak salted butter (available at Foodsaver)
For the peppercorn sauce
30g Lurpak salted butter
1 tbs extra-virgin Minerva Chorio olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced (available ready cut and frozen at Foodsaver for ease! … and no more tears!)
4 small garlic cloves, finely diced
1 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pink and black peppercorns
1/4 cup brandy
1 1/2 cup chicken stock (or beef stock)
1/2 cup Arla Fresh Whipping Cream (available at Foodsaver)
1 tsp Dijon Mustard (available at Foodsaver)
For the chive potatoes
12 Foodsaver Parisian Potatoes
40g Lurpak salted butter
2 tbs finely chopped chives
A few wild mushrooms (optional, Ardo Woodland Mushrooms available at Foodsaver)
Salt & pepper to taste
For the honey glazed carrots
1 & 1/2 cup carrots
20g Lurpak salted butter
1 tbs honey
Squeeze of lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare the chive potatoes. Boil the potatoes for about 7 minutes and drain.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over high heat, add the potatoes and sauté for about 2 to 4 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove the potatoes, place in a bowl and sprinkle with chives, tossing together until well coated. Place in a serving bowl, cover with tinfoil and place in a warm oven to rest while you prepare the other parts of the meal.
4. Prepare the carrots. Boil the carrots for 3 minutes and then drain.
5. In a large skillet on high heat, add the butter and honey until melted. Add the carrots and lemon to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté until the carrots are cooked.
6. Remove and place in a serving bowl, cover with tinfoil and place in a warm oven to rest while you prepare the steak.
7. Prepare the steaks. Let the red meat come to room temperature (this is very important to a great tasting steak).
8. Season the steaks with a generous amount of salt and pepper. The flavor of your steak will come from the steak itself, but the seasoning really brings out these flavors, so you want to be generous. Remember this is a peppercorn steak so don’t be shy with the pepper.
9. Place a large skillet on high heat on the stove. When the skillet is hot add the Chorio olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the steaks to the pan. Do not touch the steaks after you have added them, and also do not press down on them with your cooking utensils. Let the steaks cook for about 4 to 5 minutes (if you prefer your steak well-done) or 2 to 3 minutes (if you prefer your steak rare).
10. Then, using tongs, turn the steak over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes (if you prefer your steak well-done) or 2 to 3 minutes (if you prefer your steak rare).
11. Remove the steaks from the skillet and let rest on a plate covered with tinfoil to keep the steaks warm while you prepare the sauce. The steaks will then release some juices, making them even more tender.
12. Prepare the peppercorn sauce. You will need a whisk to prepare the sauce. First, turn down the temperature to low-medium heat. Add 1 tbs of Chorio olive oil, another 30g of butter and whisk the oil and butter together.
13. Once the butter has melted, add the shallot and garlic. Sauté and continue to whisk the mixture until the onion has become translucent (about 5 minutes).
14. Then add the crushed peppercorn and brandy to the pan with the butter, shallot and garlic. Sauté and whisk for about 30 seconds letting some of the alcohol evaporate.
15. Add the chicken stock and about 1/2 cup of whipping cream. Whisk the sauce continuously so that the mixture doesn’t separate.
16. Turn the heat up to medium-high add 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and continue to whisk the sauce until it reduces and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
17. When ready to serve, pour the juices which have been released from the steaks into the sauce and whisk together. Either add the steaks to the sauce in the pan to soak up some of the sauce, or plate the steaks and pour the peppercorn sauce on top. Serve immediately.