1 cup whole milk
4 teaspoons corn starch
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
90 gr bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
YOU WILL NEED AN ICE CREAM MAKER FOR THIS RECIPE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO BUY ONE, PLEASE CONTACT AFRODITE’S KITCHEN.
1. Mix together very well 3 tbs of the milk with the corn starch in a small bowl, until smooth.
2. In medium-sized saucepan, heat the remainder of the milk, cream, evaporated milk, sugar, and corn syrup. When the mixture begins to boil, whisk in the cocoa powder, then let it simmer for 4 minutes.
3. After four minutes, whisk in the corn starch mixture (make sure the corn starch mixture is mixed well before adding it into the pot, otherwise you will have pieces of corn starch in your ice cream) and continue to cook for one minute. Stir the mixture constantly with a whisk until slightly thickened.
4. Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate and salt. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract. (Add 3 chopped mint chocolates, such as After Eight, for a minty flavour.)
5. Transfer the ice cream mixture into a zip-top plastic bag with the top open. Place it in a plastic container so it doesn’t spill over and then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the bag from the freezer. Pour the mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and then freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
recipe very slightly modified from David Lebovitz Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe Based On Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.