for the chicken wings
1 Pack Foodsaver Toulips (I used 10 pieces and saved the rest for another time)
1 Pack Foodsaver Drumettes (I used 10 pieces and saved the rest for another time)
a little Minerva olive oil (1 tsp to 1 tbs) for frying the onion and garlic cloves
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp grainy Reine de Dijon mustard (available at Foodsaver)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
2 tbs tomato paste (full tablespoons)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (a little less if you don’t like things sweet)
2 finely chopped small dried figs
1 to 1.5 tsp carob syrup
1 Pack Foodsaver Sweet Corn on the Cob (if you want to serve the wings with an easy-side or as an after-thought)
for the blue cheese dip
1/4 cup Castello blue cheese (Danablu available at Foodsaver)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 cup mayonnaise (I used Develey)
1 very small finely chopped garlic
a liberal squeeze of fresh lemon juice
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
Recipe for the chicken wings
1. In a saucepan over medium high heat, fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 1 minute. Add the dried figs, mustard seeds, cayenne pepper and paprika and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Then add the dijon mustard, white balsamic vinegar, salt, tomato paste, honey, brown sugar and carob syrup. Let cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and let cool. Then pour the mixture in a food processor and mix until smooth. Will keep in the fridge for a few days.
2. Preheat the oven to 175C. Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel to remove any excess liquid. Place on top of the baking sheet on a baking tray. Lightly sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika, and flour on both sides of the chicken wings.
3. Place in the oven for about 25 minutes. Take out and turn each of the chicken wings. Place the turned chicken wings un-coated back in the oven for another 20 minutes until they are crispy. Then remove the wings from the oven, liberally brush them with the thick sauce, and place them back in the oven for another 5 minutes so that the sauce becomes sticky.
4. Remove and brush with any leftover sauce and enjoy.
Recipe for the blue cheese dip
1. Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl and place in the fridge until needed.