5 pieces of about 1.5cm thick-sliced tsoureki (it is best if the tsoureki is slightly hard)
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 large egg
1/3 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1tbs coconut oil for pan-frying (you can use olive oil if you prefer)
1.5 tsp salted butter for pan-frying
cinnamon, icing sugar, maple sugar to taste
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Whisk the whipping cream, egg, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
3. Heat coconut oil (or olive oil) and butter in a frying pan to about medium level (e.g. about 7/10).
4. Soak bread slices in cream mixture for about 5 seconds on each side.
5. Cook bread in pan for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown on each side.
6. If the oil starts to turn a bit brown or reduces before you have finished frying all pieces of bread, simply add a bit more coconut oil and salted butter to the pan in the same proportion as above.
7. Place cooked pieces of toast in a shallow pan and place in oven for 1 minute before serving.
8. Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar and cinnamon to taste. Also, if a special day, add some whipped cream and strawberries for some extra yumminess!